My sepia is showing... a chance to remember...

Monday, May 27, 2013

I'll be honest: I never really looked at Memorial Day as much other than a day off of school/work, but now, it truly has become a day of remembrance.  Last summer, I had the epic pleasure of digging through boxes of old photos and letters sent between my grandparents during WWII.  My grandmother passed away when I was only a year old and my grandfather died when I was 9, but had been in a deteriorating mental state for much of the time that he and I were both alive, so I didn't really ever know them.  Not in the real sense.

Going through their letters last summer was a window of opportunity for me to get to know them in their prime, which happened to occur concurrently with WWII.  When most of us look at our grandparents, we tend not to find much in common with them, but in this very moment, there are few people I know that I can relate to more than my grandmother and grandfather.  The fact that their correspondence survives and that I had the chance to peruse it made me see that they are not at all unlike Soldier Boy and myself so many years later. 

I pulled out some of my favourite photos and a snip of a letter in which my grandpa is writing to my grandma about their wedding plans, decorating their future apartment, and going back to wearing "civies" once he is discharged.  He has essentially given her free license to plan everything since he thinks that her taste is much better than his and he refers to her as "darling" no less than 5 times in the page and a half of the letter that I have.  Trip does the same thing with me, though he calls me "Sunshine." 

I know that my other set of grandparents went through a similar situation, so I must credit them with their strength and ability to keep things together, though I do not have their photos or letters.  

I must also congratulate Soldier Boy for promoting to Captain today and thank him for doing his job... though he is so far away and I miss him terribly.  Reunion in T-6 weeks!  Until then, enjoy these snaps of my everso handsome grandpa and grandma and if you're celebrating, I extend to you my wishes for a happy Memorial Day!  May you never forget those who served (and are still serving)!








Follow with Blog Lovin' or feel free to Tweet or Instagram us! 

12 comments :

  1. This is so special. I nearly cried reading this post. It would mean the world to me to find such incredible relics from my family. You put it together so well. Very nice memorial. :)

    Your new follower
    Mandy
    Nestled in Nostalgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. never get enough from old photographs! love

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a lovely post!! so sweet :)

    sara x

    www.essayelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so post. It's so romantic and heart-warming. Thanks for sharing this, Signe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I wish they could have had a long, happy life together but it's beautiful the way they loved each other through their time together. Makes you really believe in the power of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comment on my blog, I like yours and I am already a follower of yours. Hope to stay in touch and have a lovely day.

    Stardust Stain Blog

    XoXo Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, I am so sensitive these days

    Thank you for following in instagram

    I follow your blog, love it. Do the same if you like it
    G <3

    twitter: Georgia_Peacock

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is so much lovelier in sepia...this is such a nostalgic, beautiful post. <3

    <3 Mandy xx
    http://frocksandotherfrivolities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!

    Good memories

    http://addictbeiconic.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete