Snail mail...

Saturday, August 24, 2013


Bonjour, tout le monde!  I am now in jolly old England... err... London... well, by the time this is posted, I'll be on a train to Bath (one of my most favourite-ist places in the world) and all this zooming around has made me a bit sad.  You see, my aunt (one of my most favourite-ist people in the world) spends winter breaks and most of the summer in England and I have made the journey with her during the winter 3 times within the last few years.  Usually, as we're 'sploring the world, we'd pick up postcards and send them to our ancient penpal... a friend of my grandpa/her dad from the war named Andy.

He was stationed in England during WWII and loved to read all about our various adventures.  He would usually respond with a long letter to my aunt thanking us for including him in our sundry journeys, but the last time we were in England together, we didn't get a letter.  He didn't really have much family left, so we googled his name and found his obituary.  It was so strange to sit at The Globe last night and take in the third and final installation of Henry VI and then browse through the gift shop and NOT get Andy a postcard.

... and so, now that my somewhat melancholy story has been told, I would like to propose something to all of you!  Let's be pen pals! Please, oh please, oh please!  It will be such fun!  I love snail mail... especially when it comes from all over the world!  Think on it, and if you want to give it a go, shoot me an e-mail (signesavant@gmail.com) and we'll get ourselves set up!  Until then, please enjoy these photos of little bits and bobs of inspiration.  It's been a long time since I've posted a Monday Morning Motivation, so here 'ya go!










Don't forget to enter to win a very vintage-looking bottle of rose water from Margarita Bloom! 
Woo hoo, GIVEAWAY! 

Follow with Blog Lovin'! 

11 comments :

  1. Amazing pictures! Like this post.

    http://freshisyummy.blogspot.com/2013/08/follow-me-down.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat a cool story and post, nothing wrong with ol' snail mail - nowadays its all bills :-(

    ♥ Paula Shoe Fiend.
    http://shoe-fiend.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a beautiful story...so sad as well. I have friends that we send postcards to each other whenever we travel, it's quite nice really since we live in different parts of the world. This was lovely...have a great week :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome to Britain!
    rachel @ http://watshouldiweartoday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have a lovely blog <3 cool pics!!
    follow?
    http://stormia-fashion.blogspot.com/
    kisses ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is such a treat to get something in the mail..
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww that's so sad that he passed away :( you and your aunt were so sweet to keep in touch with him though- it's such a heart warming story of human connection :) and check you out ms. jet setter! where in the world are you now?

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always loved the idea of pen pals -- I would always try to find pen pals in different countries when I was a kid. & even now, I still LOVE snail mail!

    I'm sorry for the loss of your favorite pen pal, but you both were lucky to have each other in your lives!

    xo, B
    BKCsquared

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing. You did a great job! Buyincoins

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post <3
    Also passes by me.

    exchange blog subscriptions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE SNAIL MAIL TOO! Nothing like a reminder that someone was thinking of you long than the 2 seconds it takes to send a text.

    Patterned Love

    ReplyDelete