14 Ways to Feel Happier in 2014

Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Yes… it is New Year's Eve, so I'm honor bound to create some sort of resolution.  I know myself well enough to know that I'll never stop eating Oreos.  I will grow out of my obsession with Candy Crush in my own time.  My new job has me teaching fitness classes, so I'll just work out while I'm working and that'll be it.  I've got no desire to deal with resolutions.  However, I would like to be happier and I do feel that most people can do little things that would generally, make the world a little bit brighter.  Here are 14 little ways to feel happier in 2014!



1) Be a better tipper- For many people working in a job where tipping is the acceptable practice, these tips make up the majority of their income.  Sometimes, it is hard to make ends meet and, people get worn out and aren't always on top of their game, as far as providing good service and earning good tips.  Tip generously anyway.  A fabulous tip may be just the thing someone needs! 
2) Say "Hello" to people- I can tell you from years of working retail, nothing makes you feel invisible like greeting people and having them totally ignore you.  If you enter a shop, store, restaurant and someone says hello to you, say it back!  
3)  Breathe deeper- Our lives tend to be fast-paced.  So fast paced that when they slow down, it is still hard to chill out.  Make a conscious effort to breathe deeply to slow your heart rate.  This can help you make the best of whatever down time you have, sleep better, and lower blood pressure! 

4) Go outside-  I don't care how cold it is.  Just spend time outside.  Listen to the birds.  Watch squirrels.  Chase geese.  Whatever.  Try to give yourself at least 5 minutes outside to get some fresh air.  
5) Express gratitude-  If you're thankful or appreciative, let people know.  I know that there are zillions of things in my life I'm thankful for (like the expense-paid 4 days in London my mum and aunt gave me for Christmas.  It wasn't until I was back in Germany that I realized I'd not thanked them!).  
6) Read world news-  Get clued in on what is going on in the world!  I don't like reading the news because it tends to be negative and sad, but I dislike not knowing what is going on around me.  Reading world news may also make you a bit more thankful for what you have! 

7) Give someone a lift- Drive someone to work, buy coffee, listen to someone if they need to talk.  Do what it takes to lift someone's mood/life/state of being. 
8) Have manners and use them- Please, thank you, hold doors, don't stand in front of the most famous painting in the museum for 30 minutes when there is a crowd of people behind you waiting to see it. 
9) Read something- It really doesn't matter what.  Heck, read your Twitter feed.  Just read!  Bonus points for reading a book or newspaper that isn't filled with internet lingo (OMG, 4real!). 

10)  Balance your spending- About 95% of people I know will wander into a shop and blow and entire paycheck at once.  I, on the other hand, don't like to spend money and will pass up fun experiences because I don't want to pay for them.  Find a balance in spending and saving so that you've got something in the bank and can still have fun! 
11) Communicate frankly (and verbally)- If you have something to say, say it.  Out loud.  Not in a text.  
12)  Use wait time productively- If you do end up making some sort of resolution and have a hard time making it happen, learn to use wait time productively i.e. if you want to work out more but don't have time, do crunches, etc. while catching up on your Netflix.  Want to stay in touch with more people?  Send messages/write cards, etc. while waiting in line to check out at the grocery store! 

13)  Listen to your body-  If you're tired, sleep.  If you're hungry, eat.  If you have energy, work out.  If you need a hug, ask for one! 
14) Express love- Smile, give hugs, hold hands, give smooches, write love letters.  If you love someone, make sure they know it! 

Happy New Year! 


Follow along with Blog Lovin! 

45 comments :

  1. Happy new Year! :)

    http://finddyourway.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post so much! Thank you for sharing it's wonderful and you look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're welcome and thank you again!

      Delete
  3. Great list and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh you! Have I mentioned that I love you? I feel I haven't in a while. Your blog is so lovely and I sincerely wish you all the happiness in 2014. Your suggestions are simple, and yet very useful. If we could all conquer just a couple of these the world would be a better place. Happy New Year girlie <3

    xoxo
    Kelly
    www.dreaminlace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a doll, dahling! I do think the world would be better if we tried just a tad harder to make it that way! I think changes can start with one person and snowball into a huge happiness effect!

      Delete
  5. Great tips! Happy new year.
    Effortlesslady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this article in every way! i must admit that the reading one especially is the piece of advice i have always followed. books are a great treasure and means for escape from anything unpleasant!
    may i also add humming - singning along to tunes and sometimes even dancing makes those endorphins bloom!
    i hope you have a wonderful new year and that 2014 is all you hoped for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should hum more often… and talk to my plants… I can't believe I forgot to add those to the list!

      Delete
  7. Your #4 has been a big happiness factor in my life this year. I can't wait to spend more time outdoors in 2014 and connect with nature. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say that I'll spend more time outdoors, but the cold always gets me. I used to make a point of taking my kids out to recess (we had a flex schedule) for at least 10 minutes outside each day and I noticed that it was a big mood upper!

      Delete
  8. lol I had to laugh when you said you didn't care how cold it was ... clearly, you've never experienced -51*C weather ;)
    this is a great list though! Happy New Year <3 (I'm working on another letter to add to the other one before I send it on to the new address!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok… I guess I haven't experienced weather that is THAT cold, but I've definitely been close if wind chill is included! Can't wait for your next letter, pen pal!

      Delete
  9. It is actually a nice hair do ! lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It seemed easy and good for a day running through airports!

      Delete
  10. Happy new year, and I'm in love with your cuff bracelet ;)

    cheers!
    violettelady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We found it in a tiny little boutique in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin! It was nice to finally bring it home to the London Underground!

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year doll!! I hope it's bliss for you. And I agree with all of these, by doing them, you will feel greater and have a more positive outlook on life, even when bad things may come our way. I hope the year is filled with love, happiness and even more adventures!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic post. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been struggling with depression, it's such a horrible thing, but I hope you do feel better in 2014! These are all great pieces of advice :)

    Helen at Hels Yeah! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping for happiness in the year to come!

      Delete
  13. Pretty awesome. Happy new year. :)
    rinx
    http://theclosetqueenofandrogyny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You look so pretty!!!
    Happy New Year, wish you all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greast post. May 2014 bring nothing but happiness.
    Love
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. good ideas. I love your look
    =)
    new post: http://tupersonalshopperviajero.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/10-best-outfits-for-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all these suggestions - definitely something we need to remember despite how minute they seem to be. Bookmarking this page as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this post! That's what I was going for! Yay for bookmarking!

      Delete
  18. Happy New Year, darling! And thanks for commenting on my blog. I've followed you on Bloglovin'! http://littleblingring.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these tips! My favorite is number 1, but I might be biased since I served tables in NYC for what seems like a lifetime. I can't even begin to tell you how bad the world is at tipping. Ugh I get headaches just thinking about it.

    Another favorite is #4. Going outside for runs whether they're short or long are the best 'ME' times. I can decompress and take in nature during all seasons... The best is when I get caught in the rain on hot summer nights.

    Great read!
    Aileen
    Sex w. Candy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this post!
    xo

    Check out my blog: www.berrytrendy.com

    ReplyDelete