1) Be a better tipper- For many people working in a job where tipping is the acceptable practice, these tips make up the majority of their income. Sometimes, it is hard to make ends meet and, people get worn out and aren't always on top of their game, as far as providing good service and earning good tips. Tip generously anyway. A fabulous tip may be just the thing someone needs!
2) Say "Hello" to people- I can tell you from years of working retail, nothing makes you feel invisible like greeting people and having them totally ignore you. If you enter a shop, store, restaurant and someone says hello to you, say it back!
3) Breathe deeper- Our lives tend to be fast-paced. So fast paced that when they slow down, it is still hard to chill out. Make a conscious effort to breathe deeply to slow your heart rate. This can help you make the best of whatever down time you have, sleep better, and lower blood pressure!
4) Go outside- I don't care how cold it is. Just spend time outside. Listen to the birds. Watch squirrels. Chase geese. Whatever. Try to give yourself at least 5 minutes outside to get some fresh air.
5) Express gratitude- If you're thankful or appreciative, let people know. I know that there are zillions of things in my life I'm thankful for (like the expense-paid 4 days in London my mum and aunt gave me for Christmas. It wasn't until I was back in Germany that I realized I'd not thanked them!).
6) Read world news- Get clued in on what is going on in the world! I don't like reading the news because it tends to be negative and sad, but I dislike not knowing what is going on around me. Reading world news may also make you a bit more thankful for what you have!
7) Give someone a lift- Drive someone to work, buy coffee, listen to someone if they need to talk. Do what it takes to lift someone's mood/life/state of being.
8) Have manners and use them- Please, thank you, hold doors, don't stand in front of the most famous painting in the museum for 30 minutes when there is a crowd of people behind you waiting to see it.
9) Read something- It really doesn't matter what. Heck, read your Twitter feed. Just read! Bonus points for reading a book or newspaper that isn't filled with internet lingo (OMG, 4real!).
10) Balance your spending- About 95% of people I know will wander into a shop and blow and entire paycheck at once. I, on the other hand, don't like to spend money and will pass up fun experiences because I don't want to pay for them. Find a balance in spending and saving so that you've got something in the bank and can still have fun!
11) Communicate frankly (and verbally)- If you have something to say, say it. Out loud. Not in a text.
12) Use wait time productively- If you do end up making some sort of resolution and have a hard time making it happen, learn to use wait time productively i.e. if you want to work out more but don't have time, do crunches, etc. while catching up on your Netflix. Want to stay in touch with more people? Send messages/write cards, etc. while waiting in line to check out at the grocery store!
13) Listen to your body- If you're tired, sleep. If you're hungry, eat. If you have energy, work out. If you need a hug, ask for one!
14) Express love- Smile, give hugs, hold hands, give smooches, write love letters. If you love someone, make sure they know it!
Happy New Year!
Follow along with Blog Lovin!