Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Leggings and lifetimes...


White Plum Boutique Autumn Aztec leggings, Limbo Jewelry stud earrings, Aether Design antler ring, Emerson & Oliver Dia bracelets, casual outfit

I've been thinking a lot about childhood lately.  Possibly because I'm heading home to my mommy in a few weeks to have surgery and I'll be sleeping in my old room, full of my childhood furniture, and will be on bed rest for a few days (so mommy will have to take care of me).  In any case, I have really really come to realize that kids today are not kids in the way that I was a kid.  

I'm not actively teaching my own classes now, as I prep to be sliced and diced, but I do still work in the building where classes are held and I occasionally sub classes (hence this awesome outfit that I can wear to dance in AND can look entirely appropriate for carrying out administrative tasks), so I'm still constantly interacting with kids.  

I recently discovered that a particular child that I was certain must be a freshman in high school is in 3rd grade!  For real!  Kids these days (I'm talking 8-12 year olds) are concerned with bras, tampons (!!!), iPhones, crop tops (!!!), going "out" and having dates, and OMG learning the nwst abbrev'd ways to txt. 

When I was 12, I played with Beanie Babies on the regular.  The only reason I wore a bra was so I wasn't the naked chick changing in the locker room after gym class.  Boys?  Ewwww.  There is one kiddo that I seriously have to take my hat off to, though.  I taught her last year, and though I don't teach her anymore, I'm in the building when she comes to class, and she always stops to have a chat with me before and/or after class.  She's 12 and is in 7th grade.  Often, when I wear leggings like the ones I have on in these photos, we match, but she's got a whole outfit (top, scrunchie... yes, scrunchie, and rhinestoned boots) to go with them.  She recently told me that she just isn't ready to grow up which is hard because everyone else in her grade is already acting like they're graduating high school.  She likes dolls.  Her favourite thing to do when hanging out with friends is to make up dances, add costumes, and have performances.  And she also promised to bring me all of her Butterfingers from Trick-or-Treating.  The force is strong with this one.  I commend her for holding onto her childhood.  

... and I'm also really looking forward to those Butterfingers...   

  





Leggings c/o White Plum Boutique (Receive 20% off your entire purchase through 14-November with code SAVANT20)

5 comments:

  1. cool outfit!

    www.bstylevoyage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about kids these days and it's really sad. It's like they barely have time to actually just be care-free, innocent children! I loved playing with Barbies as a child and it killed me to stop playing with them when I thought I was too old. I hope someday things can return to a slow, chilled way of living. xxx
    www.justemma.co.uk - natural beauty, affordable fashion, everyday life

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's sad that girls are getting their periods younger and younger :( Back in my day (*grandma voice*) I feel like most girls didn't get their periods until they were 12 or 13, but now it's like 8 or 9. Really really sucks.
    xoxo,
    alysalovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love those leggings! Such a cute, casual weekend outfit!

    xoxo
    Katleen

    http://www.themodernalice.com

    ReplyDelete