Monday, December 26, 2016

Making every day a sustainable day...


The Minted Magpie mala necklace, Old Navy plaid shirt, Kisii Ethiopian prayer bead bracelets, Amy Waltz Designs crescent moon ring, casual outfit, festive outfit, winter outfit

I've said it before and I'll say it again: once you get over the hurdle of deciding to make sustainable choices, living a more sustainable lifestyle becomes easy! 

When I started  : the daily savant : almost 4 years ago (!!!), I was working multiple part-time jobs and was on the budget of all budgets.  I'd promised myself that, as someone who is rather eco-friendly, the only clothing I would own would be things I bought in thrift or consignment stores, things I bought handmade/fair trade, or things that I made for myself.  When the blog started to take off, I was inundated with collaboration requests from wholesalers with unclear business practices, but I was so excited that companies wanted to work with me that I took just about every offer I was given! 

For the last year or so, though, I moved back to the US and ended up back on that budget to end all budgets, but something in me changed.  I re-committed myself to living more sustainably and since doing so, I've found that it's become easy to follow through with sustainable choices.  When I moved to my tiny shoebox of an apartment in Vegas, I had to do a major closet clean out.  I sold or donated tons of clothes that I hadn't been wearing or couldn't figure out how to re-design or re-purpose and since then, I've worked with a whole host of handmade and fair trade companies with sustainable business practices.  Other new clothing has come from thrift or consignment shops and now hardly a day goes by where at least 40% of my outfit is totally sustainable.  

I still have lots of pieces from my pre-sustainable days, but as those garments are still totally useful and functional, I don't want to be wasteful and toss them just so I can find something sustainable to replace them with.  That wouldn't really be sustainable at all! 

All of that being said, with the new year right around the corner, I encourage each and every person who reads this to resolve to make more sustainable choices in 2017.  It may lead to a total lifestyle shift! Scroll down to see how sustainable this outfit is! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 
: I made my hat
: the necklace is handmade
: the bracelets are handmade
: the ring is handmade
: the t-shirt was thrifted






1 comment:

  1. I love your choice to think about your carbon footprint and help make living sustainably a worthwhile thing to more people! It is the unselfish thing to do! Plus how cute is that outfit!!

    ReplyDelete